Tuesday, March 19, 2013

"Live one day at a time"

I read "The Alchemist" while I was on my journey from office to home, inside the MRT. I was wondering what the story was about until it becomes one of the best selling books in the world. I haven't finished reading it though, but I have already been amazed by it. WOW!!! It started simple but full of meanings in every sentence. I keep recording its meaningful sentences into my mobile. I really don't want to miss a thing. There are just so many things to learn from that book to be used in life.

Below are sentences taken from one of its story:

The camel driver, though, seemed not to be very concerned with the threat of war. "I am alive," he said to the boy, as they ate a bunch of dates one night, with no fires and no moon. "When I'm eating, that's all I think about. If I'm on the march, I just concentrate on marching. If I have to fight, it will be just as good a day to die as any other."

"Because I don't live in either my past or my future. I'm interested only in the present. If you can concentrate always on the present, you'll be a happy man. You'll see that there is life in the desert, that there are stars in the heavens, and that tribesmen fight because they are part of the human race. Life will be a party for you, a grand festival, because life is the moment we're living right now."

Those sentences remind me of my own sentences that I sent to my dear friend in one of my emails. It said like this:

"Actually although my age keeps increasing, deep inside me always think I'm in my 20s. Seriously. Seems like it didn't catch with what my age brings me. Supposedly woman in my age would be very mature, thinking more about career, busying with children and family, etc. But for me, my thinking has always been the same. Perhaps my thinking is too simple and doesn't expect much from life. And just focus more to the present. Don't know if it's good or bad. Seems like I don't have much ambition in life, other than embracing happiness in daily activities. But I am happy this way though. Live a day at a time."

Hahaha... I thought I am living in wrong place, wrong century, or maybe in the wrong world. But after reading "The Alchemist", I was relieved and felt much better. I realized that I was not the only one who lived more in the present. Indeed, I've watched many grand festivals throughout my life.

Keep on dreaming!!!
I'll share another sentence from the book: "Because it's the thought of Mecca that keeps me alive. I'm afraid that if my dream is realized, I'll have no reason to go on living."

Do you find it familiar?? In our lives, we have many dreams to be realized. We want to further our studies, we want to work overseas, we want to travel to more places in the world, we want to build a happy family, and so on. And once we realized our dreams, there was nothing more to achieve. We became loss, stagnant, and lost purpose in lives.

That is why there is another sentence: "Never stop dreaming!" 

Initially, I thought dreaming was all about having a goal of becoming something, with imagination, with power, with fame, with a name. But it was not necessary of becoming something. It can be anything. Even my dream to travel to many other countries can be a dream too. And once my dream came true, I would set another country to go, and so on. Keep on dreaming. Because world is just too vast, and my money is just too limited. Hahahaha.... So although I will never be able to go to all of the places in the world, but at least I will never lose purpose in my life. That what keeps me going in this life.

Remember, we don't have to become 'somebody'. We can just simply be ourselves and fulfill our dreams, live one day at a time. Wish all your dreams come true everyone!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

yup live day by day...
mama dah disini, gw dah tenang. if the baby ready to go, i am ready too.
because i know that mom will give her strength to me to overcome whatever will be...
and so my hubby...

Overcome Life said...

Wish that everything goes smoothly during the delivery... Hope you and ur baby are healthy Sis! We help and support you with our prayers here.... Love you...

Anonymous said...

baru kmrn blg ready, ini pagi mulai mules.. tp msh blm stabil..

Anonymous said...

I don't hv a dream... Hidup mengalir spt air... Just let it flow.. Just be grateful what God gave to me.... Just enjoy my life...
eh

Overcome Life said...

Now I know why in my eyes you're always 'happy go lucky'!! and how I inherit some of the traits from you! :)

Overcome Life said...

But our difference is, I have many dreams to fulfill and instead of waiting what God gave me, I'm searching and looking towards what I want. Cheers! :)

Unknown said...

Very practical person you are! I read this book as a cowboy at my village and the main character was also a shepherd.What a joy to read someone similar. That cowboy knew what it was like to have a dream since then. You gave birth to many wonderful dreams in me. Living my present is one. And I am after them.

Overcome Life said...

Good to know that the book also benefits and inspires you Kipchu! And yes, it's a good reminder to all of us to always live in a present moment. I wish all your wonderful dreams to come true la! All the best! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...