Sunday, July 06, 2014

Gourmet Trip to Malacca - Nancy's Kitchen

My mom made a trip to Singapore on Tuesday. She had no purpose this time round and thought of filling her time with leisure on short term basis together with us (me, my brother and families)

Due to the limitation of time (work and school), we could only arrange a short trip on weekend. And I thought of this place, Malacca or Melaka in Malay language.

Malacca is only about 3 to 4 hours drive from Singapore. But the time spent on the immigration checkpoint from both countries (Singapore and Malaysia) was unpredictable. Sometimes, due to holiday season or weekend, it will be more crowded and there will be traffic jam. Just like today. Actually I expected to reached the place before noon (hubby and I took a coach while the rest took car). However, we spent about 1.5 hours in both customs and we ended up reaching the Malacca bus station at 1.20pm) - 5 hours and 20 minutes to reach!

It's my second time coming to this place. The first one was ten years ago (oh my!) together with my friends. Actually I'd wanted to come here again about two weeks ago. But due to circumstances, I couldn't make it. So I'm very happy when I finally had my dream being realized now :)

I booked the coach ticket and hotel just few days ago. The bus ticket from Singapore to Malacca cost S$25 while the return ticket cost slightly more expensive at S$37.

Nancy's Kitchen - Malacca

Once arrived, my hubby and I immediately took a cab and headed to Nancy's Kitchen,  a peranakan nyonya restaurant located just minutes away from our hotel. My bestie recommended me this place. Oh, before coming here, I did some homework finding out which places to visit, where and what to eat, and so on. Since the area that we wanted to visit was quite small, I focused more on what and where to eat. That's why I called it 'Gourmet Trip' hehehe.... ^^

My brother and my nephew had already inside the restaurant when we reached while the rest were enjoying foot massage at next door. We selected the menu on what to eat and in a while my Mom and the rest slowly came.

Lunch at Nancy's Kitchen - Malacca

Malacca is very famous for its Peranakan culture and food. "Peranakan Chinese and Baba-Nyonya are terms used for the descendants of the 15th through 17th-century Chinese immigrants to the Indonesian archipelago and British Malaya. Members of this community in Melaka address themselves as Nyonya-Baba. Nyonya is the term for the women and Baba is for the men." - source : Wikipedia.org

Nyonya food from Nancy's Kitchen

The above were what we ordered. The above three were the appetizers: Kueh Pie Tie, Popiah, and Ngoh Hiang. The middle ones were Sambal Udang Petai, Bakwan Kepiting (soup), Ayam Buah Keluak. Below ones: Sek Bak (Brisket Pork), Spicy Brinjal, Fish Fillet with Spring Onion.

Overall the food is very nice. I loved the Kueh Pie Tie the most together with Sambal Udang Petai and Ayam Buah Keluak :) Sek Bak and Ngoh Hiang the second ^^

After the meal, we bought few Nyonya kueh (sweet dessert) located near the cashier, such as: Rempah Udang, Durian Pukis, Pulut Inti, etc. Nyummy!

That was only our first stop, our first meal in Malacca. There would be more to come. For now, I'll stop here. To be continued.... :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the food! but most of all the togetherness with family esp mom!
Salam dua jari
Yz

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...