Sunday, November 02, 2014

Hector and the Search for Happiness

Hector and the Search For Happiness

"The basic mistake people make is to think that happiness is the goal"

I saw this book on the bookshop’s shelf since few weeks ago. By reading the title, I was wondering what kind of story the author would write about. There were many books about happiness that I’d read. One of my favorites was The World Book of Happiness written by Leo Bormans. Read about its review here and here.  

By luck, I found the book available at the library yesterday! Yayy!!! I started reading it last night at 9pm. I thought I would read it for a while as I was not sure if the book was interesting or not. However, to my surprise, once I read the fourth chapter, I started liking it and hoped to finish reading it by that night, which I did!!! - I read in in three-hour time – including jotting down valuable lesson’s time into my journal book ;)

You can read the outline of the story here. They even made a movie. I would not repeat about the outline of the story, but what I wanted to convey here was actually I enjoyed reading this book very much!

First, it was written in such simple English, which everyone with Basic English knowledge would be able to read and understand it. Second, it was written based on the experience, which was translated into a very logical thinking to understand happiness. Third, there was some kind of comedy behind that could make you smile when reading it. And most importantly, there were many lessons learnt about happiness that Hector found out from his journey, which would be useful to all of us!!!

If you asked me what kind of book that I loved reading? This book would be one of them! A practical guide and story, and there would be place for us to contemplate as well, to see how far we were with the situations, with happiness itself! You could recollect back the memories and happening from your past lives, and looked back on what kind of attitude that you chose to do in order to overcome the unhappiness in your life.

Oh my!!! I would recommend all of you to read this. Perhaps not everyone would think like me or useful as what I think it’s useful for me. But seriously, it’s one of the books that you should read under your MUST-READ list this year :)

Let the curiosity kills the cat and let you find out more by yourself. I can’t wait to read his other book: Hector and the Secrets of Love and Hector and the Search for Lost Time. Hope it will be as interesting as this one!! ^^

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Yet another addition for my reading list. It's noted. Thank you aum Rima for suggestion and also that wonderful review. Thank you. Takecare!

Thoughfolio said...

My appreciation for your habit in jotting down impressive lines from the book, I too have this habit. This is the reason you are happy by reading the book of happiness. Keep reading and relishing, for you shall always yearn for happiness, indeed all of us. Happy and fruitful November as brings cold weather with bold opportunities. Hope all is well with sound in health. Regards from me. Do Great. Take Care. :)

Precious Moment said...

Got you those two other books of Lelord's! But they're from older version. Hahaha... and get this book u wrote the review above for myself...

Anyway, you are indeed a very, very contagious reader! Since last year, Im practically following whatever books you've read, well not all those you completed lah, but mostly what I read were recommended by you.

You should proud of yourself...
If the writers had known about this, they sure will reward you with.... more free books hahaha (Im sure u dont mind at all)

Overcome Life said...

It's my pleasure! It's great to share happiness around ^^

Overcome Life said...

Didn't expect you'd notice that :D I think many reader and writer would do the same thing. If you find it in India, go and read it. You will like it Ugyen! :)

Btw, here the weather is hot all year round hehe.. Thanks for your wish! Hope you keep yourself warm and be healthy always! Take care!

Overcome Life said...

Have you started reading it? Hope you enjoy it the way I did. The back part is hilarious - the four Chinese words in the painting ^^

Sharing is caring. I've managed to know many books from other readers too. That's the joy of being in the circles of people with same hobbies.

Eh, now only I feel like a salesman lol... no no, I don't get paid for writing this nor getting any free books from the author. It's true my inner expression :)

And thank you for borrowing the other two books for me. Can't wait to read them very soon!!! :)

sancha rai said...

nice mam...keep on la..thanks

Unknown said...

Finishing a book has become a piece of cake for you.So quick.I am jealous, haha. You reminds me of the writer Austin Kleon who says, 'show your work to the world' and you are exactly doing it.We gets inspired by your work.Thanks lah.

Overcome Life said...

Thank you for reading it and leaving your comment as always Sancha! Have a wonderful week ahead! :)

Overcome Life said...

Don't be jealous la! You just have to spare a little bit of your time to read. It can be daily ritual, weekly and so on. Thank you for your beautiful comment la and have a wonderful week ahead! Take care Kipchu! :)

Flora said...

Yes i do strongly agree with what Mr.Kipchu has said "Finishing a BOOK has become a piece of cake for you." thanks for sharing what ever you read, and its like i am reading a book, as i have not read any book as such after my coming here. but at least i feel i am reading some thing time to time, that's your Book review. Kadinchey and keep writing and make us read.

Overcome Life said...

Thank you Flora for your beautiful comments as always! I'm glad you read my blog posts as part of your reading exercise and hopefully benefit something from it into your daily life :) Have a great week ahead Charo and take care! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...