Thursday, December 31, 2015

The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto by Mitch Albom

Upon looking at the newly published book by Mitch Albom at the bookstore's shelf (just released last month - November 2015), The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto, I was wondering what kind of inspirational story he would write this time. It's quite a thick book (hard cover) containing 489 pages. I thought, "Wait until the paperback version coming up, or until it's been released in the library."

However, when there was a special one-day sale in Popular bookstore, I decided to buy because anyway, I could pass the book around after reading it and let the author inspire those surrounding me, and it's always worth it to share the good things around. I asked PY, my bestie, to help me buying it as I wasn't in Singapore, and she ended up telling me that this would be my Christmas present from her. Oh! Thank you very much PY for this fabulous present! Thank you, thank you, and thank you! :)

The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto - Mitch Albom

It was on third last day before year 2015 ended. I was hesitating which book should I read - Marina Bay Sins or this one. Obviously, this book was much thicker and I was usually quite deterred when looking at the thick book and always took it as a challenge. I was wondering too if I could finish this book before year end. As the previous few books I read were about that thick too, so I thought, let's face it Rima! Let's conquer that fear and just read it! And so, at the end, I chose this one to be my next reading book!

I seldom checked on the content and review when choosing book to read. It was usually based on friends' recommendations, top list books sold, new books written by my favorite or well-known authors, etc. So, even after reading the title of the above, I still had no idea what would be the content and story of this book.

So, there I was, starting to flip the book around.

"At nine years old, Frankie Presto is sent to America in the bottom of a boat. His only possession is an old guitar and six precious strings. 

But Frankie's talent is unique, and his amazing journey weaves him through the musical landscape of the twentieth century, from classical to jazz to rock and roll, with his stunning talent impacting upon numerous stars along the way, including Hank Williams, Elvis Presley, Carole King, and even KISS.

Frankie becomes a pop star himself. He makes records. He is adored. But his gift is also his burden, as he realizes: through his music, he can actually affect people's futures - with one string turning blue whenever a life is altered. 

Then, at the height of his popularity, Frankie Presto vanishes and his legend grows. Only decades later does he reappear to change one last life..."

That was the introduction, a short summary about the content of the book.

One of the song lyrics by Frankie Presto :)

And so, it was related to music, and guitar. I was not a music person (I mean, I didn't play any musical instruments, except the flute that I learned during primary school's time). I was not familiar with any words used describing the tempo of the music either. I only loved to listen to music and songs since younger time. Worry not, you didn't have to master it all in order to understand the content of this book. In fact, Mitch wrote it in a way that it could carry the readers along with the flow of his story, from one stage to another.

The greatest thing you'll ever learn - Frankie Presto :)

It started from the funeral of Francisco de Asis Pascual Presto - in short Frankie Presto. It brought you back to where he was born and all the way until he died. There was a touching love story too, which was written beautifully, and somehow meaningful, if you could grasp the words. Although it didn't really sound realistic, it didn't mean that it would not happen. Oftentimes I wondered if he was existing in real life though.

I typed Lágrima Francisco in the search column at SoundCloud Apps. It was a short musical instrument - less than two minutes each. I pressed the 'Play' button and let it flow continuously and it accompanied me while reading the book. Lágrima - means teardrop. It was the song featured in the book, one of remarkable works of Francisco Tárrega - in which the story was much related or perhaps inspired by him in some ways.

What is played from the heart can be played anywhere - Mitch Albom 

I read half of the book in one day and finished it in two days' time. I just loved it. It answered all my curiosity, what was really happening, and so on. Music, just like word, was an art. Many were born with it as talent and many were working hard on it all through their life. Nevertheless, it was most importantly coming from the heart. It's really nice story, at least for me. If you were curious, make it as your next reading list. Hope you like it the way I do! And this would mark the last blog post of year 2015. I wish all my wonderful readers a blissful year of 2016, filled with many good luck, good health, good career, life filled with lots of joy and happiness. Have a wonderful New Year's Eve tonight too, wherever you are! Keep writing and reading all my bloggers friends around! Cheers!!! :)

8 comments:

Gyembo Namgyal said...

Nice update of Mitch Albom's latest book. I always love reading his books and here you have enticed me into reading it when it is available here. I must appreciate you for reading this voluminous book in mere two days. Great!
Happy New Year.

rm said...

Definitely added to my 2016 tbr list cause your review is simply enticing. Thank you.

I know what a good book makes you feel as you turn the last page and close the book no matter how fat the book is.

Happy New Year 2016 Rima. Enjoy life for its good :).

Choki Gyeltshen said...

Would love to read this book! Great review Rima!

Happy New Year 2016!

Overcome Life said...

Kuzuzangpo la Gyembo Sir! Thank you for dropping by at my humble blog and leaving your comment here. I hope you are doing great out there and keep yourself warm this winter season.

Since you love reading his book, yes, you should not miss this one too! Hope you enjoy it the way I do!

Have a wonderful year ahead la Sir and may all your wishes and dreams come true!

Xoxo, Rima :)

Overcome Life said...

Yes Bumo! Put this book into your tbr list next year! Hope you'll get it soon there in Bhutan! Have a blissful and happy new year 2016 for you too! May all your dreams and wishes come true! Cheers! ;)

Xoxo, Ashim Rima ;D

Overcome Life said...

Hey Choki! Hope you enjoy reading this book too! Have a snowy white new year's eve down there and keep yourself warm and healthy! Happy New Year there! ^^

Unknown said...

I loved reading this book! Thanks for gifting me the book.

Overcome Life said...

My pleasure Dawa!!! And I'm glad that you loved reading it too!!! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...