Friday, March 13, 2020

Life's greatest wealth is healthiness (Both physical and mental)

Edible Corona virus themed easter egg made by French Pastry Chef (Pic source: Google.com)

Two days ago WHO Director-General made the assessment that COVID-19 could be characterized as a pandemic. Pandemic is (of a disease) prevalent over a whole country or the world. The virus outbreak has spread to date to 127 countries, affected over 134,000 people with almost 5,000 death cases (approx. 3.7% death cases). The death victims were mostly elderly and many had already had pre-existing conditions, such as: high blood pressure, heart disease, lung infection, diabetes, etc.

Yesterday our Singapore Prime Minister, Mr. Lee Hsien Loong, appeared on TV to brief us the update of the situation. He mentioned that Singapore is facing a serious situation and expecting for the spike number of COVID-19 cases. The situation is expected to continue for some time - a year, or maybe longer. However, the situation remains under control and Singapore will not raise the Disease Outbreak Response System Condition (DORSCON) level to Red (currently Orange).

"We are not locking down our city like the Chinese, South Koreans or Italians have done. What we are doing now is to plan ahead for some of the more stringent measures, try them out and prepare Singaporeans for when we actually need to implement them." 

And in today's news, Singapore has widen the travel restrictions to block entry from Italy, France, Spain, and Germany since there are currently many imported cases from people who traveled from these areas (in addition of previous travel restrictions from mainland China, Iran, northern Italy, and Republic of Korea). The imported cases came not only from Europe, but also from our neighborhood country, such as: Indonesia (but so far, not travel block from Indonesia yet).

Covid-19 figure update as on 13 Mar 2020 (Source: Channelnewsasia.com)

4 days ago I was still considering to continue with my long awaited travel plan to visit my friends in UK and France (to fly this April). I had to let it go this time after receiving message from my mom. Both she and my father were worried about my health if I insisted of going.

That time, the situation was not as bad as it is now. Yet, I respected their request as I knew that they loved and cared about my well being. I immediately informed my friends about the trip cancellation. My parents were even willing to bear the ticket money that I had paid, in case the airline was not able to give a refund.

However, on the same day, the airlines had come out with new policy regarding the re-booking and/ or travel cancellation. I made a phone call the day after and they told me that I could cancel my trip and to apply for the travel voucher (the amount paid for my ticket fare only - not included the luggage that was paid separately) that is valid for one year to any destination using the same airlines and their partners. At least I did not have to worry to lose my hard earned money to the drain - besides keeping myself safe, I still can go there to visit my friends and perhaps to visit my old school (or even join the school reunion that has also been postponed due to the Covid-19 - supposed to be held on May this year).

It seems like every country is unsafe to travel to for now, cannot even to think to go back to my hometown (Indonesia). And as our PM mentioned earlier, that this may continue for some time. Knowing my own health situation, it is better not to risk myself to travel around, even within Singapore itself, although it was mentioned though, that the majority of COVID-19 patients, "80 per cent of them", only experienced mild symptoms. But with SLE inside me, I really could not risk my health and being 'gei kiang' (Singlish means act smart).

Moreover, I had traveled to so many places for the past two years. Seemed like the Universe knew that this thing would come. Therefore, I was given the opportunity to have the travel marathon earlier. And so far, I only had this trip planned for year 2020 whereby in the past years I would have already had so many travel plans on hand. The more reason I have to feel grateful for all that happened to me.

Books borrowed recently from Singapore National Library (Pic source: Instagram rimareyka.writes)

Singapore is still fighting with the upcoming cases. School holiday is coming soon (16-20 March 2020) and I have told myself not to go out to crowded places much. To spend my time wisely at home, I have come out with plan with the aim of having good immune system for my body and good mental health so that I will not easily get contracted with the virus.

The plans are:
1. To wake up early every morning (as early as 5.30am)
2. To meditate twice a day (before sleeping and after waking up)
3. To read (self-improvement book in the morning and other book during other times - including before sleeping)
4. To write journal (especially after reading the self-improvement book)
5. To share my thought in this blog (hopefully more posts coming up)
6. To eat more nutritious food (home cooked food especially - more vegetable and fruits)
7. To drink honey once a day
8. To cook and have dessert that will help in keeping the body healthy e.g. green bean soup, apple/pear soup, bird nest occasionally, etc.
9. To reach 10,000 steps daily (it forces me to move my body up - which I can do it even inside the house) - at same time getting points that can be redeemed with supermarket voucher :D
10. To lift my both legs up before sleeping for 20 minutes (while reading) - the article said it gives a lot of benefits to the circulatory system plus improves the digestive system and quality of sleep.
11. To communicate with my family members and friends more often as life is truly unpredictable and we do not know when we can meet them again
12. To spend the money wisely (as economic faces down turn and jobs become uncertain)
13. To avoid crowded place (nearby area is fine as long precautionary measure is taken) but resistant towards good sale, offer, and promotion are appreciated :P

14 Pedoman Hidup Manusia or 14 Guidance of Human Life - (Pic source: Google.com)

Hopefully I can truly spend my time wisely today onward. You may say I am becoming 'kiasi' (scared to die), but it is not the case. I just want to treasure the health that I have right now. As you can see from the point no. 8 above, "Life's greatest wealth is healthiness." And from the recent Covid-19 outbreak, many people have realized the importance of the health very much. As no matter how rich you are materially, without good health, you will never be able to live life happily and enjoy it to the fullest. So, keep our mind positive in current situation and focus on the good and positive things always. Jia you everyone!!! You can do it!!! :)

2 comments:

Flora said...

Hardest situation that world facing right now! Hope this covid19 vanishes very soon. Stay safe & take care charo

Overcome Life said...

Indeed la. I hope too. You too stay safe there and take care. Love from here :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...